One Day Surgery
St. Bernards Medical Center has a designated area on 3 Main for One-Day Surgery. It provides a convenient, safe, lower cost alternative to inpatient hospitalization for some procedures. Each patient must be evaluated by a physician who will decide if he or she is an appropriate candidate for One-Day Surgery.
When you and your physician decide an outpatient procedure is best for you, you can depend on our well-qualified staff and dedicated facility to ensure a comfortable experience. You may wish to keep this brochure handy as the following information will be helpful as you prepare for One-Day Surgery.
- Necessary lab work and x-rays will be ordered by your physician prior to your procedure.
- If your health has changed since your last office visit, or if you have developed an infection, fever, cough or wheezing, please inform your doctor prior to arriving at the hospital.
- Do not eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight. This includes candy, water, coffee, chewing gum, etc. Doing so may result in the cancellation of your procedure.
- Follow all physician instructions.
- Refrain from using tobacco products for at least 24 hours prior to your procedure.
One-Day Surgery Patient Instructions Planning for surgery:
- You may not drive home after your procedure. A family member or friend must accompany you to the hospital.
- Wear comfortable, easy-to-change clothing.
- Please leave all valuables at home.
- Contact lenses may not be worn. Please bring a lens case.
- You may wish to bring a book or audio headset for your comfort while waiting.
- Children may bring a favorite toy or blanket.
- Remove all make-up, false eyelashes and fingernail polish.
- Bring a list of all medications you are currently taking. Dosage amount included.
- Bring your insurance, Medicaid or Medicare card, even if you have already provided this information in advance.
The day of surgery:
- After check-in, you will receive an armband which must be worn until discharge.
- You will be escorted to a pre-op room to change into your hospital gown and remove any jewelry, dentures, contact lenses, etc.
- Your blood pressure, pulse and temperature will be taken.
- A nurse will review your history, medications, the procedure and perform a health assessment.
- An IV or medication will be administered.
- You will be transported to the OR holding area where you will speak to the anesthesiologist. Comfortable waiting rooms are available for your family and friends to receive information during your care.
- Following your procedure you will return to One-Day Surgery for monitoring.
- You will be given specific instructions to follow upon release and may receive a prescription for any necessary medication.
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled for you; or, you may be instructed to call for an appointment.
Following discharge from One-Day Surgery:
- Review all instructions given to you.
- Have a friend or family member fill your prescription.
- Get plenty of rest and do not over-exert yourself.
- Do not drive or operate machinery for 24 hours.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages.
- Closely follow your physician's instructions and call his or her office with any questions.
- Our staff will contact you the following day to check on your progress.
St. Bernards Medical Center
225 E. Jackson, 3rd Floor
Jonesboro, AR 72401